The Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Labour announced that about 100,000 foreigners, working without permits will be fined after Khmer New Year and potentially face jail time and deportation if they fail to get paperwork or pay their fines in time . They have also announced that employers will be fined $630 for employees who do not have work permit and employees will be fined $10 per day for work permit extension overdue as well. According to the last update on April 5th, deadline for work permit applications have been extended untill April 30th. So if you haven’t had a work permit, now is probably the time to do it, hurry up!
The cost is $100 per calendar year if you have had an EB visa (formerly the “ordinary” or “business” visa) and $100 for the current year.
Required checklist for foreign workers in Siem Reap:
- Get your certificates issued by the Ministry of Commerce and the General Department of Taxation either if you are an employer or an employee.
- Visit immigration police near by the airport, take your house contract, 2 passport photos and 1 copy of your passport and the E visa with you. They will call you in two days when your residence permit is ready. They won’t charge you for this.
- Go to the commune office where your home address is assigned, take the paper given by Immigration police and 2 photos with you to get it approved. They will charge you 10 USD for this procedure.
- Get your Medical checkup certificate from any hospital ( Neak Tep clinic charges 25 USD, they prepare the paper in 30 minutes)
- Login your account in online Foreign Workers Centralized Management System (FWCMS) and upload the photos of the requested papers. If you applied last year using the online system, you can login using the same username/password and click “renew.” You’ll need to provide a new “physical aptitude certificate” and a copy of your current visa, but other than that, everything will be saved in your application from last year.
- Wait for the e mail by FWCMS. They will mail you the bank account which you should deposit money. After transferring money to this account your application is completed. Now you can wait for your work permit card. Post office will call you when your card arrives to Siem Reap.
Cambodia is getting ready to celebrate Khmer New Year, and again a great danger is being ignored just like every year. Talcum the main substance of baby powder, which is the essential of the celebrations, threatens the health of babies and adults. During a whole week, kilograms of baby powder will be spilled all over the streets and this increases the degree of the threat.
Talcum is a mineral consists of hydrated magnesium silicate with the chemcial formula of H₂Mg₃(SiO₃)₄ or Mg₃Si₄O₁₀(OH)₂ . It is proven by clinical researches that talcum leads to lung inflammations in infants, and ovarian cancer in adult females. In the United States, as the outcome of a woman’s demand who is suffering from ovarian cancer, the “Johnson & Johnson” cosmetics firm was sentenced to pay 72 million $ by the local court because of not writing the warning on the label that talcum is carcinogenic.
Because of, Cambodia is an underdeveloped country, avoiding dangers is solely depended on your own efforts. As Sieam Reap City Guide we advise you to:
- Use a motorcycle buff or a dust mask while you celebrate New Year at Pub Street
- Stay home during celebrations
We wish you all a happy Khmer New Year!
Sour S’dey Chnam Thmey!Read More
If you like sipping your beverage while enjoying a magnificent view, Sakmut Boutique Hotel is your address. The Hotel offers you a two different events for weekends, “Thirsty Friday” and “Wine’s Day”. Both events take place at Sky Bar of Sakmut Boutique Hotel and offers you unlimited alcoholic beverage for two hours accompanied by one of the best views of Siem Reap at a very cheap price.
The “Thirsty Friday” is every friday between 7 pm and 9 pm until the 28th of September 2018, you can have unlimited bespoke cocktails at 6 $ (plus taxes). And “Wine’s Day” is every saturday until the 26th of January 2019 between 7 pm and 9 pm, you can have unlimited red/white wines and beer in return of 8$ (plus taxes).
15 million Cambodians, followers of Theravada Buddhism are getting ready to celebrate oncoming Khmer New Year on between the 14th and 17th of April. As you know, New Year events in our city starts a few days ago. Almost for a week, pub street of Siem Reap is wallowed in baby powder.
Old expats know, during New Year celebrations, sidewalks are dyed white because of the kilograms of baby powder spilled onto the streets. Even daytime you can still smell baby powder when you wander around . We will discuss hazards of baby powder (such as being carcinogenic) in another article. As Siem Reap City Guide, we recommend you to buy water guns nowadays, while they are still cheap. Enjoy attacking the amused masses on streets from the top floors of the pubs. They may swear you a lot but at least it is not hazardous as baby powder.
You can buy your water guns from Phsar Leu market on the 6th street or you can prefer lot more cheaper Phsar Krom market . Big water guns are currently priced at 10-12 dollars, but it can rise up to 20$ during New Year events.
We wish you all a happy, safe and sound new year already now.Read More